Thursday, April 3, 2008

see mandy. see mandy run. run mandy RUN!

So, I'm back into running and feeling quite ducky for 2008. Two weeks ago I started a Nike + iPod Workout Program to help track my progress; although, I've really been back at it since the beginning of the year (woo-hoo, 3 full months and counting). I rounded out the first quarter with an increase in distance and frequency. I need a good Fall race for training to help encourage me to keep it up during the hot weather to come.

You see, I have this nasty habit of being a yo-yo exerciser. Especially when it comes to running outside. It just gets so ridiculously hot and humid in this part of the country. And it gives my body another excuse to not want to run. My body tends to be creative when it comes to excuses:



*if I start running now...when am I going to be fit enough to stop working out altogether

*my calves are sore from the hills...I might not be able to walk tomorrow

*are my quads/thighs bulking up...maybe I shouldn't run today, or ever again

*the kids on that bus were pointing & laughing...I should stop now so I don't catch up to them at the stop sign

*my shorts are inching up my butt...I knew this whole running thing was a bad idea


Yet something inside me drives me harder. Go Go Go!



"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Cor. 6:19-20)

_________________

Okay, at least that verse is an encouragement to actually get out and run...

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink eating the last of those dark chocolate, mouth-watering truffles...Nahhh!

No comments: