Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Singledom

So, we’ve started a Small Group Bible Study at my house each week. We’re all single, young professionals wanting to seek God and His plan for us at this “singlehood” point in our lives. We’re uniquely positioned at a time when we have freedom to do whatever we want…we get to choose our responsibilities…we decide how we spend our time…we have all the say in how we spend our money. Yippee!

And since I’ve started going back to church (Sidenote: yes, I’m still doing my standard Sunday Brunch…they definitely know us as “Regulars” now), it was crazy-cool that last Sunday’s sermon was on “Singlehood” and the blessings of being unattached. Yes, unattached, not detached…I get it…I’m returning to God! Our pastor talked about Paul’s letter to Corinth that addresses the gift of being single (1 Corinthians 7) and how even as Christians, we often overlook / pity / question people who are single. Jesus was single.

Of course, there are those who choose to be single and those who are single by circumstance and wish they weren’t single. I’m not really sure which one I fit into since I am still in the dating scene…I don’t feel called to stay single forever, but certainly I don’t feel called to be married at this point. Most likely because there are no viable prospects within sight…at all.

Sometimes I struggle with not really wanting to follow God’s will. Sometimes I’m downright defiant. It’s this rebellion in me...

No comments: